Recover and Repair a Corrupted Microsoft Excel File
5 different ways to Recover and Repair a Corrupted Microsoft Excel file on your Windows or Mac computer
Most of the times, you can be able to fix a corrupted file on your Windows/Mac operating software.If you are facing this issue currently, you can go through the suggested guidelines.Here, you can see five different ways to solve this specific problem.
Repairing the File
- It is required to make sure that you're using a Windows computer.
- Now, you need to open Excel
- Tap the option of “Open Other Workbooks.”
- Select the option of “Browse”
- You are required to select the “Excel file.”
- However, you should tap "Menu" icon
- You need to choose an option of “Open and Repair…”
- If asked, you can choose “Repair” option
- There is need to wait for the file to open.
- Your file will now be saved
Change the File Type on Windows
- There is need to understand that why the file type matters.
- Tap the option of “Start”
- You are required to open the option of “File Explorer”
- Tap the option of “View tab”
- It is required for you to check "File name extensions" box.
- Also, there is need to select “Excel file.”
- Select the option of “Home”
- Choose the option of “Rename”
- Now, you may change the file type.
- When you asked or prompted, select the “Yes” button
- Now, you should try to open the file.
Change the File Type on Mac
- It is required for the user to understand why the file type matters.
- You need open “Finder” it is in the form of a blue icon in your Mac's Dock.
- Choose “Excel file” and for that, you should go to the folder in which your Excel file is located
- Tap “Excel file” that you want to recover.
- Select the option of File, it can be found in the menu item that is in the top-left corner of your Mac's screen.
- Now, you need to tap “Get Info”, you may find it in the File drop-down menu.
- There is need to expand the "Name & Extension" section if necessary.
- When you don't see any filename or extension below this category, tap the triangle to the left of the "Name & Extension" heading to view the file's name and extension.
- It is required to change the file type. Replace all that comes with file name ends with xlsx and then press “Return.”
- Tap the option of “Use .xlsx” when prompted. It will help you to confirm your decision and change the file type.
- You should now try to open a file, it can be done by double click.When the file opens in Excel and you selected HTML, a file will successfully recover.
Recover the temporary save on Windows
- It is required for you to understand the limitations of this method.
- You now need to open “Start”
- Tap the Windows logo that is on the bottom-left of the screen.
- You should enter “this pc.”, it will search your computer for "This PC" program.
- Select “This PC”, it will be in the form of computer monitor-shaped icon which is at the top of the Start window.
- It will open This PC window.
- You should double click computers hard drive.It is usually the "OS (C:)" option under"Devices and drives"
- You need to open "Users" folder, double-click your user folder and it is labeled with part or all of your username on your computer.
- Now, you should click "AppData" folder.
- When you don’t find a folder, tap View tab, and tick "Hidden items" box in the "Show/hide" section.
- However, "AppData" folder will appear.
- You need to double click "Local" folder
Recover a temporary Save on Mac
- It is first required to understand the limitations of this method.
- Select the option to “Go.”
- Tap the option of “Library.”, this will appear by using “Go” drop-down menu.
- It is required to click and open "Containers" folder.It is in the "C" section of the Library folder.
- Click the option of search bar that is in the upper right
- You should search Microsoft Excel folder.
- Tap the Containers option
- You should open "com.microsoft.Excel" folder.
- Also, there is need to choose "Data" folder.
- Tap "Library" folder and open "Preferences" folder.
- You should open "AutoRecovery" folder.It will bring up a list of automatically saved versions of Excel files.
- You need to search a temporary version of your Excel file.
- Choose the Excel file
- Tap the option of File.This will be in the form of a menu item in the upper-left corner of your Mac's screen
- Click the option of Open With.This option is near the top of the File drop-down menu.
- Select the option in Excel. It's in the pop-out menu.
- You are required to Save the document. For that, you should Press ⌘ Command+S