7 Steps to Protect your Gmail Account
The users may face certain issues related to the safety and security of the Gmail account. So, in order to keep the system safe and secure and intact, the users need to strengthen the security of the Gmail account. For this the users may follow the below-listed steps:
Step 1: By activating the 2-step verification:
- 2 Step verification helps to keep the Gmail account safe and secured. It shields the Gmail account by providing a protective layer of protection on signing in to the Gmail account. Whenever the user signs in into the Gmail account, the users will receive a code. The use of this code to sign in to the email account makes it almost impossible for any other user to hack the password and sign in to the Gmail account.
- For this purpose, every Gmail account must get the 2 step verification feature activated. In order to do so, the users need to follow these steps. The users need a phone in order to activate this feature. In case the user loses their phone, then the users may create a backup code and a back up a phone number in order to access their Gmail account in the absence of the phone.
Step 2: By detecting and blocking the email trackers:
- The users may block the email trackers that keep tracking the emails sent by the users. This can cause serious security issue and hamper the security of the Gmail account used by the users. Loss of confidential data may be there while the tracking of the mails.
Step 3: By updating the Gmail Security credentials:
- The user of the Gmail account needs to update the security credentials used for signing in to the Gmail account or for recovering the password of the Gmail account. It might happen that the user has created their Gmail account years ago and now the recovery phone number, recovery email id has changed.
- Hence it is important that the users may update the security detail, security options, recovery options, the recovery email id, and the recovery phone number. It is very crucial for the users to go to the Sign-in and Security Checkup page in order to update the password of the Gmail account. The users need to make sure that they use a strong password.
Step 4: By revoking the access to 3rd party apps:
- The users may go to Google’s Account Permissions page in order to revoke the access to anything that the user does not want to keep.
Step 5: By checking for suspicious activity:
- Whenever there are sign-ins from an unfamiliar location, the users may review the notification send and check if there is no suspicious activity. The users may review their account, then click on the link 'Details' located on the right-hand side of the footer of the user’s mailbox.
Step 6: By checking the account filters for forwarding emails:
- The users need to ensure that there are no active filters in the account that might be forwarding the emails. For this, the users need to check. The users may go to the settings page, then the user needs to click on the Filters tab. At last, the users may look for the unauthorized filters and then delete them.
Step 7: By authenticating the emails while sending some sensitive information:
- A small red padlock right next to the sender’s email address is seen when the user receives an email which is a sign showing that the message is unsafe.